GLBRC082:GLBRC Aboveground Plant Biomass
This dataset contains aboveground biomass data for all treatments (G1-G10) of the GLBRC Biofuel Cropping System Experiment (BCSE). Biomass samples are taken at peak biomass for estimation of aboveground net primary production (ANPP) as well as other sampling campaigns such as cover crop harvest or to capture biomass before agronomic activities. Also included are annual stem diameter measurements and occasional destructive harvests for poplar (G8). See the ANPP protocol for description of the sampling and measurement methods used for each of the treatments. Typically, biomass is sampled around each sampling station (S1-S3) in each replicate plot (R1-R5). Belowground plant biomass is available in a different dataset.
- Status: active
- Temporal Coverage 2008-01-01 to 2022-01-01
- GLBRC082-001 Poplar Leaf Litter Biomass
- Biomass of leaf litter collected from litter traps in the BCSE poplar treatment (G8). Two litter traps are deployed per replicate plot in mid to late summer and litter samples are collected roughly every two weeks. Note that litter traps are identified by number (at Arlington) or by orientation in the plot (KBS).
- GLBRC082-003 Aboveground Biomass of Annual Crops
- Aboveground biomass of BCSE annual crop treatments (G1-G4, depending on year). Peak biomass samples are separated to species; cover crop harvests are separated to cover crop species and an "unsorted" aggregate sample of any additional species. Surface litter samples are also included in the dataset but likely represent previous years’ growth and should not be included in ANPP estimates.
- GLBRC082-004 Aboveground Biomass of Herbaceous Perennial Crops
- Aboveground biomass of BCSE herbaceous perennial crop treatments (G4 starting in 2021, G5-G7, G9-G10). Peak biomass samples were sorted to species from 2009-2017 but are left “unsorted” from 2018 onward.
- GLBRC082-005 Poplar Understory Biomass
- Biomass of the understory plant growth in the BCSE poplar treatment (G8); including at peak biomass as well as sampling before agronomic activities such as mowing, herbicide application, and cover crop harvest. Peak biomass samples were sorted to species through 2018, but from 2019 onward are left “unsorted”, as are samples from the other sampling campaigns.
- GLBRC082-006 Aboveground Biomass of Annual and Herbaceous Perennial Crops
- Aboveground biomass of BCSE annual and herbaceous perennial crop treatments (G1-G7 and G9-G10); including measurements at peak biomass as well as other sampling campaigns such as cover crop harvest and harvest efficiency.
- GLBRC082-008 Poplar Stem Diameter and Biomass Measurements
- Stem diameter and biomass at destructive tree sampling of the BCSE poplar treatment (G8). Stem diameter at 15cm above ground level is measured annually during the winter months; whole trees are destructively sampled on occasion to develop the relationship between stem diameter and woody biomass.
- PROT082 Plant Biomass Carbon and Nitrogen Analysis- GLBRC BCSE & Scale-Up Sites